October 4, 2021
PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTRANASAL(IN) GLUCAGON:
|Why do I need to use it?||· Glucagon should be used to raise glucose levels that are dangerously low.
· Glucagon raises the glucose by stimulating the release of glycogen from the liver and muscles.
|When do I need to use it?||· In the event that your child has a severely low glucose level, and is unconscious, cannot swallow, or is seizing.
· IN Glucagon can be given even with a runny or congested nose.
· Available for anyone 4 years and older.
· Do not remove the shrink wrap until it’s being used.
|How to dose / administer it?||· Remove the shrink wrap by pulling on the red stripe
· Open the lid and remove the device from the tube.
· Hold device between fingers and thumb.
· Gently insert tip into nostril until fingers touch the outside of the nose.
· Push plunger firmly all the way.
· Administration is complete when green line disappears.
|What to expect after its administration?||· Turn the person to the side in case of vomiting.
· CALL 911 if not responsive in 15 minutes.
· If the child does not respond within 15 minutes, another dose may be given; wait for emergency help.
|· When the child is alert, encourage food intake as soon as possible.
§ ½ cup juice/regular soda
§ 1 tube glucose gel
· When fully awake give a larger snack regardless of the blood sugar.
§ 1 package cheese or peanut butter crackers
§ ½ sandwich + ½ cup milk
|· Check the child’s glucose level at least 4-6 times in the next 24 hrs.
· Watch for ‘rebound highs’ and more low glucose levels.
· Eat all meals and snacks as normal and target glucose of 150-200 mg/dl over the next 2-3 days to replenish liver glycogen stores.
· Call your provider’s office to report Nasal Glucagon use, for dose adjustments and to get a new prescription.
· Watch for side effects from the glucagon, upset stomach, nausea or vomiting.
· If necessary, follow the “Clear Ketones” guidelines in your diabetes packet.
|THROW AWAY GLUCAGON CONTAINER AFTER ITS USE.|
FOR URGENT CALLS, please call your Diabetes Clinic Emergency On-Call Number