PedsENDO365 Fellow Initiative
PedsENDO365 provides pediatric endocrine fellows an opportunity to enhance clinical concepts, skills in clinical decision making, career development, quality improvement, and leadership. These sessions will foster building of a learning community for fellows in an environment of innovation, collaboration, and discovery with guidance from expert faculty facilitators.
For suggestions for future topics, please contact Dr. Anshu Gupta via firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMART Goals for a Happy Professional Journey - Career Development Part 1
Date: November 11, 2022 / 3:00-5:00 PM ET
By end of this activity, participants will have:
- Conducted an inventory of their Values, Interests and Skills and available career paths.
- Assessed whether their interests and skills align with their values.
- Drafted a short term (1- year) and a long-term (5- year) career goal.
- Created I- SMART (Important, Specific, Measurable, Accountable, Realistic, Time-limited) learning goals aligned with their career goals
Key Concepts: Importance of values, interests and skills and their alignment in successful career planning. Impact of life changes on value priorities.
Speakers: Dr. Anshu Gupta, Dr. Amy Levenson, Dr. Jennifer Barker, Dr. Patricia Vuguin, Dr. Seema Kumar
Career Pathways - Career Development Part 2
Date: January 20, 2023 / 3:00-5:00 PM ET
By the end of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe the career pathways available after endocrine fellowship
- Identify what career pathway/s match your skills, values and interests.
- Evaluate two possible career paths and next steps needed via networking with professionals at various stages of career in that track (clinician-scientist (basic/clinical), clinician-educator, industry, FDA, private practice)
- Viable career paths after fellowship training.
- Importance of identifying what paths match values, skills and interests
- Role of networking in identifying mentors and job prospects
Speakers: Dr. Jennifer Barker, Dr. Patricia Vuguin, Dr. Seema Kumar, Dr. Jessica Schmitt
Registration: Coming soon!
February 17, 2023 / 3:00-5:00 PM ET
Objectives: Coming soon!
Registration: Opening Winter 2022
Adrenal Disorders: Case-based Discussion
March 17, 2023 / 3:00-5:00 PM ET
Objectives: Coming soon!
Registration: Opening Winter 2022
Pediatric Endocrinology Lipid Guidelines Based Case Discussion for Fellows
March 11, 2022 / 3:00-5:00 PM ET
Lipid Metabolism – is now available on MedEd On The Go and will also serve as this session of the PedsENDO365 program!
The Fellows’ Education Sub-committee is grateful for the work of the Lipid SIG members who served in an editorial capacity for these educational materials.
Episode Speakers: Dr. Erin Atwood, Dr. Ryan Brady, Dr. Marissa Kilberg and Dr. Amy Levenson
Case Authors: Dr. Bethany Auble, Dr. Iman Al-Gadi, Dr. Marissa Kilberg, Dr. Amy Levenson, Dr. Janet Lucien, Dr. Lisa Swartz Topor
Editorial Board: Dr. Ambika Ashraf, Dr. Jennifer Kelley, Dr. Marissa Kilberg, Dr. Zeina Nabhan, Dr. Don Wilson, Dr. Miles Yu
Increase fellows’ familiarity with lipid biochemistry, physiology, and pathologies, and to enhance their understanding of screening and treatment approaches for cholesterol disorders.
Resources and Required Reading:
- Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: summary report. Pediatrics. 2011 Dec;128 Suppl 5(Suppl 5):S213-56. doi: 10.1542/peds.2009-2107C. Epub 2011 Nov 14. PMID: 22084329; PMCID: PMC4536582.
- PedsEndoFlip- Lipid Modules (To be provided upon session registration)
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Understand the structure of lipid molecules and their role in cholesterol synthesis and metabolism
- Discriminate types of lipid pathologies and their relation to genetic causes, clinical presentation, and laboratory findings
- Describe screening approaches and recognize parameter for initiating treatment for lipid abnormalities.
- Classify drug therapies for hyperlipidemia and hypertriglyceridemia
- Formulate a plan for evaluating and managing cases of patients with hypercholesterolemia
Session Speakers: Dr. Marissa Kilberg, Dr. Ambika Ashraf, Dr. Anshu Gupta, Dr. Jennifer Barker, Dr. Amy Levenson and Dr. Lisa Topor
Career Pathways for Pediatric Endocrine Fellows
Clinical Academic Practice/Clinician Educator/Researcher Track
Track 1 - Clinician Educator
- Kathleen Timme, MD, M.Ed, Assistant Professor, Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Utah View Slides
- Kanthi Bangalore Krishna, MBBS, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology & Diabetes, Penn State Hershey Medical Center and College of Medicine
Track 2 - Clinical Academic Practice
- Seema Kumar, MD, Professor of Pediatrics, Director, Pediatric Lipid Clinic and Pediatric Weight Management Program, Chair, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Program Director, Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship, Department of Pediatrics, Mayo Clinic
- Todd D. Nebesio, MD, FAAP, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine
Track 3 - Researcher:
- Durga Singer MA, MD, Associate Professor, Valerie Castle Opipari M.D Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan Medical School View Slides
- Gregory P. Forlenza, MD, Associate Professor, Barbara Davis Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine
Industry, FDA/NIH, HMO/Private Practice
Track 4 - FDA/NIH
- Saul Malozowski, MD, PhD, MBA, Senior Advisor for Endocrine Physiology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Lauren Wood Heickman, MD, Medical Officer, Division of Diabetes, Lipid Disorders and Obesity, Office of New Drugs, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Virginia View Slides
Track 5- Industry
- Nerissa C. Kreher, MD, MBA, Chief Medical Officer, Entrada Therapeutics View Slides
Track 6 - HMO/Private Practice
- Karen Huang MD, Kaiser Permanente, Santa Clara, CA
- Aristides Maniatis, MD, FAAP, Private Practice Pediatric Endocrinologist, Rocky Mountain Pediatric Endocrinology, PC, Associate Clinical Professor, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center View Slides
- Gayathri Devineni, MD, Endocrinologist, EndoHealth Atlanta View Slides
SMART Learning Goals for a Happy Professional Journey
View Session Slides: SMART learning goals for a Happy Professional Journey 11-12-21-final self directed