PES Going Virtual for 2021
We are pleased to announce the dates for the PES 2021 VIRTUAL Annual Meeting!
April 30th- May 3rd, 2021
We are excited to think innovatively of what our first virtual standalone meeting will look like, and how best to provide our attendees with an exciting and stellar meeting with robust and cutting-edge educational content. The Program Committee is already working hard on your behalf to ensure both a dynamic and interactive virtual experience. Stand by for more details as they become firm.
For those that are curious, here are some issues that the Board of Directors considered during this COVID environment to make this monumental decision:
- The unknown challenges associated with holding a quality face-to-face meeting while adhering to the safety and physical distancing regulations being imposed on the venue(s).
- The availability of a vaccine and the adequacy of its supply.
- The possible economic fallout from COVID-19 that may affect faculty development funds for 2021 (thus impacting the ability to travel to a meeting given costs of airfare, lodging and daily expenses). The only cost of attendance at the virtual meeting will be the registration dues.
- Possible travel restrictions and a moratorium on non-essential travel that may make in-person attendance unlikely or impossible for some.
Based on these logistical and other considerations and recognizing that the current COVID situation may or may not change by April 2021, the Board unanimously agreed that a virtual meeting was the best path forward.
Benefits of a Virtual Meeting and of Making This Decision Now
- The Program Committee and management have the necessary time to ensure that this virtual meeting is a robust and seamless experience!
- The limitations and time restraints experienced at a face-to-face meeting are eliminated by having access to ALL the education we can offer. Whereas an in-person meeting allows attendance at only one concurrent session at a time, virtual technology and recorded sessions will allow access to additional concurrent educational content at your convenience. This will also allow for additional CME credit.
- Without the need to travel and its associated cost, we anticipate larger participation and an opportunity for our global colleagues to participate.
- Using creative digital functionality, the PES will deliver interactive educational content, facilitate access to our mission alliance partners, provide a forum for presenting posters, and offer networking opportunities for professional collaboration and personal satisfaction!
We are very excited to take you on this virtual journey and hope that you will join us!
- If I deferred my registration from 2020 to 2021 will this be applied to the virtual offering?
- YES! There will be a registration fee for virtual participation, and if the 2021 virtual meeting fees are less than the deferred 2020 meeting fees, a refund will be issued. Staff will communicate registration logistics once confirmed.
- Will CME credits be available in this virtual format?
- YES! Furthermore, meeting registrants will have access to on-demand recorded sessions after the meeting and will thus have the opportunity to avail even more educational content and earn additional CME than in a live environment.
- What kind of sessions will be offered?
- All our typical session formats, including Meet the Professor sessions, Symposia, and oral abstract sessions will be delivered virtually. The Business Meeting and plenary lectures will also be held virtually. Additionally, the Program Committee is busy behind the scenes designing new interactive educational and networking opportunities! Stay tuned for the many ways to get engaged!
- Will there be posters?
- YES! We will have a platform that will allow our presenters to share their science with attendees virtually. Furthermore, we will publish all abstracts in Hormone Research in Paediatrics and these abstracts will be citable.
- Will you accept new abstracts for 2021?
- Yes! A traditional call for abstracts with peer review/selection will take place. Stay tuned for date and deadlines!
- Will there be a traditional call for lectures and awards?
- The 2020 Blizzard and Kaplowitz lecturers are excited to present their science with us virtually at the 2021 meeting. We will have a call for nominations for the next Van Wyk prize, which will be awarded in 2021.
- Will there be access to PES industry partners?
- Absolutely! We would not dream of holding a meeting (virtual or otherwise) without including our mission alliance partners. Typically, valuable education is shared between our exhibitors and our attendees at the annual meeting. We will facilitate opportunities for them to share what is new with you through various formats at the virtual meeting!