Leslie Pitts - Children's of Alabama
Stephanie Woerner - Indiana University
Megan Pruett - Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Medical practice changes in recent years have included the addition of many Advanced Practice Providers who function in a specialized role. In Pediatric Endocrinology, APPs function in many capacities to care for patients with diabetes and other Endocrine conditions. The addition of APPs to the PES membership has created an opportunity for professional growth and development among Pediatric Endocrine Advanced Practice Providers.
The APP Special Interest Group is a forum of interested members to collaborate and facilitate communication and to network with colleagues who are Advanced Practice Providers specializing in Pediatric Endocrinology. We intend to provide support and guidance for the APP community to: support research initiatives either through PES or collaborations with other organizations with similar goals, provide educational resources for both professional development and patient education and advocate for models of care delivery.
AIMS- To develop a special interest group focused on the unique education and practice needs of Advanced Practice Providers in Pediatric Endocrinology, thereby aligning with the PES Strategic Plan goals of member value, advocacy and knowledge.
- Develop opportunities for leadership among APPs
- Explore potential utilization of APP Pediatric Endocrine Research
- Encourage APP publication
- Provide a networking opportunity for APP PES members
- Establish a mentoring plan for new APPs specializing in Pediatric Endocrinology
Proposed Activities for the next 2-3 years
- Establish PES APP SIG
- Establish an APP presence at the annual PES meeting
- Schedule quarterly telephone/Zoom conferences
- Promote addition of SIG on website in order to entice membership of APPs
- Increase APP membership in PES and APP SIG
- Establish a mentoring plan featuring collaboration with experienced Pediatric APPs and newer Pediatric APPs
- Disseminate education materials and clinical tools for providers and patients among the group to help promote practice activities
- Encourage members to share knowledge through webinar sessions or educational offerings to other APP members.
- Explore APP research opportunities
- Encourage and celebrate APP participation in research and publication.
Patti Vining Maravolo